Sunday, August 16, 2015

Sunday...all driving and no Bloodies

We left Fayetteville at 8:30, and stopped at an IHOP to make up for the horrible Waffle House experience in Delaware. The food and service were both far better; leaving us with a fonder opinion of North Carolina. The stop was only about 45 minutes, and we were back on 95 before we knew it.

The ride was quite a bit different than the northern part of the East coast. No winding roads or hills; just a mostly two-lane highway, with a somewhat wooded median separating the flow of traffic. It became clear rather quickly that southern drivers are worse than northern drivers, because they are completely unpredictable. Thankfully, we avoided any road mishaps.

The ride became increasingly long, and what we thought would take 9 hours, ended up taking 11 1/2. Rain and traffic slowed us down once we crossed into Florida. Even though I was getting anxious to be off the road, the boys and I managed to find ways to entertain ourselves.

Discussion about Bruce Willis - though I'm not sure how he came up exactly, led to me having them look up 'Respect Yourself' on Youtube. Hey, what better time to show your kids how crazy the 80s were than a road trip? That just got them going, and soon I was being tortured by Rick Astley, Right Said Fred and a host of bad rap. Pretty sure that's something we wouldn't have done just hanging out at home.

When we finally arrived at my sister's place, I think I was twice as happy to see them all. Getting out of the car for a few days certainly didn't hurt. Welcomed by hugs the family and doggie kisses from Sophie was the perfect way to end Sunday.








No comments:

Post a Comment