This was probably the latest I'd slept in all vacation. Once we were up though, we were packed and on the road, headed as far north as we could go. We were in no rush, and made a number of stops along the chosen route.
It was slowly becoming evident that long stretches in the car were wearing on all of us. Little snaps and bickering made a few appearances, but all in all we kept it together. I have my suspicions that iTunes and headphones played a role in keeping the peace ;)
We had a great breakfast at a diner on A1A in Daytona Beach. The view wasn't fantastic (we couldn't see the water), but the empty lots having yet to be developed across the street, provided a fantastic view of the blue sky. There was a bit of local banter happening around us, making it evident this wasn't a typical tourist spot. Stuffed, we pushed on to Georgia.
On a mission to get oranges and peaches, we stopped a number of times. The boys got a kick out of the deep, southern accents - mimicking them periodically in the car. I ended up with a couple bags of oranges, peaches, pecan meal, and a whole lot of moonshine. Hey, some people buy souvenirs, me, I buy food and alcohol!
We arrived at the hotel in Richmond just before 10pm and there was a very loud band playing in the restaurant. Had we not exhausted ourselves with all the driving, and were we not completely done in from vacation in general, I may have chosen to stay and listen. Instead, we ordered room service, I wrote a couple overdue blog posts, and we called it a night.
The stretch of road through South Carolina and North Carolina is long, and relatively boring when you are use to the hills, turns and ever-changing landscape of the Northeast. By far my favorite part of that section of the drive, was seeing the actual South of the Border location, because then I knew I wouldn't have to see another billboard telling me about it the rest of the trip. Knowing we only had a couple hours to drive in the morning to get to DC, was the second best part.



No comments:
Post a Comment