Friday, April 19, 2013

A thought worthy of sharing...

I have been posting nightly reflections/appreciations on facebook for people that have impacted my life and what I have learned from their presence - however short lived. This was tonight's status: 

Day 233: Just watched a rerun of How I Met Your Mother...The Burger. Experiencing something 'life changing', but having no idea of how you arrived at that moment or how to replicate it; the show's theme in a nutshell. It's a bit surprising to me that I'm actually seeing beyond the comical entertainment value of a sitcom, and pulling applicable meaning to real life. Too often attention is focused on what was and trying to recreate or bring back all the elements of a moment in time, instead of embracing the memory and learning to appreciate the here and now. It's eerily easy to become wrapped up in what was or what you remember something or sometime to be, but what is often overlooked is recognizing the miracle of having been able to feel, experience or live that moment. Our memories shouldn't taunt or consume us with longing, they should comfort and spark tangible echoes of amazing days and nights gone by. And those not so good memories shouldn't haunt us for the rest of our years; we should be grateful it is the past and proud of how far we have come from it. I battle with this; regularly. The what-ifs and might-have-beens of choices made or opportunities missed. Truth be told, I berate myself far too often for not being where I imagined I would be...and it would appear that dreaming can be as detrimental as remembering, if not done responsibly :) I once had a friend who was so fixated on what their future was 'suppose' to be and always two steps behind realizing the missteps made, they couldn't live in the now. They were consumed with attempting to control everything and everyone around them in a fruitless attempt to achieve what they thought they were suppose to. Manipulation, coercion and frantic, unpredictable behaviors only hold us hostage to what no longer exists and what may never be, while pushing our present and all who inhabit it away from us. Remember for the sake of remembering, dream for the sake of dreaming; don't lose yourself in times that no longer exist. Be present in your here and now.

No comments:

Post a Comment